During the time that I was consumed with playing my game, rarely did I make efforts to feel the Spirit. If I prayed, it was half-hearted. When I did feel the Spirit, it was sporadic. This was due fully to the effort I expended and it was not much.
I remember not too long ago, after I had quit my game, that I heard something that has been a huge influence on helping me continue to change. The bishop in my ward challenged us to do something every day to bring the Spirit into our heart. It could be reading the scriptures or listening to a conference talk. It could be listening to uplifting music. Really anything that touches the heart and invites the Spirit.
So I decided I would try this experiment.
I started reading the Book of Mormon more diligently and was able to finish reading it last December. I replaced the music I listened to with more uplifting things. I started to listen to conference talks on my smart phone. I cut down on the time I spent on the Internet. I started reading self-help and inspirational books. I pled with the Lord to strengthen me in my daily activities. I began reading the Doctrine & Covenants.
I can now testify of the truth of these words. The Lord has blessed me immensely in my efforts. As I have sought to do those things that invite the Spirit, I have absolutely felt His presence. I also know the power of prayer. I look back each day and am amazed at the things I have been able to accomplish as I ask in faith. This has been a huge blessing as I have realized how my MS is sapping my strength. I only have so much and need so much more.
I know the Holy Ghost is real and is a member of the Godhead. We have great need of the Testator. I have tasted time and again of the Spirit and it is delicious to the soul! May we all experiment upon the word and come more fully to the Lord by doing those things that invite the Spirit so that we may be guided back to Eternal Life.
45 For the aword of the Lord is truth, and whatsoever
46 And the aSpirit giveth blight to cevery man
that cometh into the world; and the Spirit enlighteneth every man
through the world, that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit.
acometh unto God, even the Father.
Doctrine & Covenants 84:45-47
No comments:
Post a Comment